Banking & Financial Services
Averaging more than 20 years of experience, our team represents our clients in a wide range of state and federal court litigation and appeals.
Our litigators have handled thousands of lender liability cases in state and federal courts that have yielded hundreds of published decisions. Of the cases that have gone to trial, trial teams led by Robert Bailey have prevailed in every case.
Our litigators and appellate lawyers have also secured important precedents for the financial services industry, including:
- A 9th Circuit decision finding that a national bank is a resident only of the state where it designates its main office, clarifying a federal district court’s diversity jurisdiction. [See attached Link]
- A successful defense of a national bank in a lawsuit brought by over 80 homeowners who had accused the bank of perpetuating a “securitization scheme”. [See attached Link]
- A successful defense of a proposed class action against a national bank where the plaintiffs alleged the bank was required to abandon a cost index for adjustable-rate loans after the Index had spiked dramatically. [See attached Link]
- Achieving dismissals of proposed state and federal class actions against a national bank that was accused of improperly transferring adjustable-rate loans to a higher rate index
- Defeating a proposed class action over a national bank’s handling of loan escrow accounts
- Persuading a state court judge to set aside a county ordinance that prioritized municipal real property assessments over senior deeds of trust.